Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Bad words...

Jalin,

The other day you and your brother were playing and teasing each other about something. Your mom and I were sitting down on the couch while y'all were playing. Jalin, Devin was teasing you about something and you called him a "liar". Well, once you mother and I heard that we asked you what you said--just to be clear. You said, "liar". We got upset with you for saying that word and kinda barked at you. Of course you started to cry because you knew we were angry with you for saying that word. Now...I feel bad about it. I never want you to cry and I did not mean to bark at you. It's just that the word "liar" is a strong word. We don't want you using that word. It's just ugly. As I'm sure you remember, by now, there are certain words that we don't like to say around our house, 'liar' is one of those words. "Hate" is another word, as is "shut-up". I do know that you will use those words in your lifetime, but I just want you to remember how strong they are. I want you to remember how hurtful and ugly they can be. Words are great but man can they do some damage if you use them in the wrong way. Choose your words carefully; they are truly a double edged-sword!

Love ya!
Dad

No comments: